A pavement with tiles that can recycle water has been installed on a street in Nørrebro in Copenhagen to test a new “climate adaption” technique.
The 50-metre-long pilot stretch contains “Climate Tiles” with holes that channel water to surrounding plants, with excess water stored until it evaporates.
Tiles can also be used on roofs, where water is transferred to water tanks.
With more rain expected in Denmark as the climate changes, the idea is to cut the amount of water going into sewers, reducing time and money spent needing to repair and expand wastewater facilities.
The Climate Tile, devised in 2014, is constructed with vertical and horizontal pipes, and can be updated and maintained over its 50 year life span.
Its creator, Danish firm Third Nature, says the tiles can redirect 30% of the projected increase in rainwater that will be created by climate change.
Flemming Rafn Thomsen, Third Nature partner, said: “We are happy to be able to now demonstrate a scalable climate adaptation system. Beyond working 1% of the time when we have climate accelerated rain incidents, the solution furthermore creates value for the city the remaining 99%.
“We believe our streets are the bloodstreams of society and that the sidewalk is an underappreciated part of our infrastructure that holds great potential for future communities in our ever-growing cities.”
Images courtesy of Third Nature